Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Teaching Philosophy

Social Studies Philosophy

     The term philosophy is derived from the Greek “philosophia” which, loosely translated means love of knowledge or wisdom. It is with this understanding that I can expound upon my own philosophy in terms of life in a broad context, as well as my philosophy pertaining to my desire to teach social studies in a more specific context.

    In terms of my general philosophy of life, the word eclectic is probably the proper assessment. As a mature adult, having lived a great portion of my life and experienced its highs and lows, I can draw from a bank of varying philosophies. I tend to be a person who treats people the way that I hope to be treated (The Golden Rule), and would rather be respected than feared. Fear is respect that is commanded, while natural respect is earned via modeling. I also believe that knowledge is power, not in physical terms, but rather in spiritual and intellectual terms. The acquisition of knowledge is a constant process, and those who keep an open mind are often the most well rounded individuals.  

     My philosophy of social studies education is built upon the foundation of my general philosophy. Teaching skill and content knowledge augment that core foundation, while other elements are drawn from the environment of the school – the students, the classroom, and the school itself. The students bring their diversity (both cultural and learning). The classroom provides the proper back drop or setting to enhance learning. The school provides a sense of community which is an essential component social development. All of these elements combine to create a climate that fosters exploration of knowledge. It’s my duty to act as a guide to this exploration.

     My goals as a social studies teacher are to orchestrate the various components of the subject matter – history, geography, economics, and civics - into cohesive, coherent, effective thematic unit lesson plans. By blending the elements of National Council for Social Studies themes, under the umbrella of the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards, I hope to provide students with a thorough knowledge of:

·         Culture      

·         Time, Continuity, and Change 

·         People, Places, and Environments

·         Individual Development and Identity

·         Individuals, Groups, and Institutions

·         Power, Authority, and Governance

·         Production, Distribution, and Consumption

·         Science, Technology, and Society

·         Global Connections

·         Civic Ideals and Practices



     I hope to instill strong work ethics in my students by incorporating a multi-disciplinary approach to learning via encouraging the use of critical thinking skills, and the effective analysis and synthesis of information across the curricula. By the end of the journey the students will have developed the “ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world.” By accomplishing these goals, students will have a firm set of values which are founded on honesty, integrity, altruism, and ingenuity. They will learn to listen, and listen to learn.

     By displaying the proper mix in my disposition - including confidence, compassion, kindness, knowledge, and a touch of humor, I hope that my behavior will serve as a model for the behavior of my students. While I realize that students, like adults, have good days and bad days, I don’t expect each student to conform to my exact expectations in terms of disposition. What I do expect is that each student gives the best effort that they’re capable of giving on any given day, and is willing to persevere through the trials and tribulations of the learning process.



    My philosophy is just that…a philosophy. It may be correct or incorrect, but it’s mine. It might work one day, but it might be a dismal failure the next day. As an effective teacher, it’s my responsibility to modify my approach as needed to ensure that I manage my classroom effectively, while developing the student’s overall abilities to the optimal level of efficacy. As Socrates once said “education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.” My job is to kindle that flame.



  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment